AVR and XMEGA 8-way Handheld Programmer
Version 3 supports all AVR and ATxmega Microcontrollers
- AVR Serial Programming (ISP)
- AVR UPDI Interface
- ATtiny TPI interface
- ATxmega PDI support
- AVR and ATxmega JTAG programming, optional adapter needed.
- AVR D Series supported
This version works with all Kanda PC USB dongles (DONGLE, DONGLE2 and DONGLE3).
Each of the 8 slots can hold up to 512KBytes for code and data EEPROM, enough for all ATxmega and ATmega2561 flash and EEPROM.
8-way Handheld Programmer Benefits
This 8-way standalone programmer makes it simple to update firmware in both Atmel ATxmega and AVR microcontrollers. You select which of the 8 slots is needed with a rotary switch, then you plug it into the target and press the button. That's all you need to do.
You load your firmware, fuse settings etc. for each slot from the PC using a Kanda USB dongle and simple software. Once it is loaded, you can program as many targets as you want.
- Battery powered with 9V PP3 battery or can be used with 9V power supply
- It has 8 slots to hold different firmware, AVR or ATxmega microcontrollers etc
- 512KB of storage space for target code and EEPROM data in each slot
- Select which slot to use with rotary switch
- Single button press to program target ATXMEGA or AVR microcontroller
- Load portable programmer using PC Software and USB dongle
- You can reload new programs as often as required
- Once loaded, it holds program code indefinitely
- Supports AVR ELF production files
- Number of programming cycles can be limited
- Supports all Fuses and Lock bits
- Fuse edit in hex or binary
- Program Fuses First feature increases programming speed on new AVRs with 1MHz clock
- Program and Verify Flash or EEPROM or both
- User Area supported
- Can power target from 1.8V - 5.5V, depending on target AVR voltage range. XMEGA 1.8-3.3V
- Can power target microcontroller (up to 150mA) or target can be powered
- All settings (fuses, filenames etc) can be saved to a programmer file for easy distribution of setup
- Error indication with red/green LED
- Dimensions: Imperial - 4.5 x 2.5 x 1 inches
- Dimensions: Metric- 106mm x 58mm x 25mm
- Optional adapter needed for AVR JTAG programming, see Product Accessories
- Includes flying lead adapter for ATxmega PDI programming
- Optional adapter for UPDI 12V pulse is available
The loader for this mobile AVR programmer works in Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8 and Win10, 32 and 64-bit versions.
ATxmega and AVR Microcontroller Support
Supports all L, P, PA, V, A AVR Devices as well
- Older AVR: AT90S1200, AT90S2313, AT90S2323, AT990S2333, AT90S2343
- AT90S4414, AT90S4433, AT90S8515,AT90S8535, ATmega103
- AT90CAN128, AT90CAN32, AT90CAN64
- AT90PWM2/3, AT90PWM316
- AT90USB1286, AT90USB646
- ATmega128, ATmega1280, ATmega1281, ATmega1284, ATmega128RFA1
- ATmega16, ATmega161, ATmega162, ATmega163, ATmega164, ATmega165, ATmega168, ATmega169
- ATmega16M1, ATmega16U2, ATmega16U4
- ATmega2560, ATmega2561
- ATmega32, ATmega323, ATmega324, ATmega325, ATmega3250, ATmega328, ATmega329
- ATmega3290, ATmega32C1, ATmega32M1, ATmega32U2, ATmega32U4, ATmega32U6
- ATmega48, ATmega64, ATmega640, ATmega644, ATmega645, ATmega6450, ATmega649
- ATmega6490, ATmega64C1, ATmega64M1
- ATmega8, ATmega8515, ATmega8535, ATmega88, ATmega8U2
- ATtiny13, ATtiny1634, ATtiny167
- ATtiny2313, ATtiny24, ATtiny25, ATtiny26, ATtiny261
- ATtiny4313, ATtiny43U, ATtiny44, ATtiny45, ATtiny461, ATtiny48
- ATtiny84, ATtiny85, ATtiny861, ATtiny87, ATtiny88
- ATtiny441, ATtiny841
- All P (PicoPower),PA, V, L and A AVR microcontrollers are supported.
- All ATxmega using PDI interface
- All ATxmega with JTAG - adapter needed
ATtiny TPI Support
ATtiny10, ATtiny102, ATtiny104, ATtiny20, ATtiny4, ATtiny40, ATtiny5, ATtiny9
ATtiny UPDI Support
- ATtiny202, ATtiny402, ATtiny204, ATtiny404, ATtiny804, ATtiny1604
- ATtiny406, ATtiny806, ATtiny1606, ATtiny807, ATtiny1607
- ATtiny212, ATtiny412, ATtiny214, ATtiny414, ATtiny814, ATtiny1614
- ATtiny416, ATtiny816, ATtiny1616, ATtiny3216
- ATtiny417, ATtiny817, ATtiny1617, ATtiny3217
- ATtiny1624, ATtiny1626, ATtiny1627
Optional adapter for ATtiny UPDI 12V programming pulse available - see related products below. 12V adapter is not needed unless you reconfigure Reset pin in fuses.
ATmega UPDI Support
- ATmega808, ATmega1608, ATmega3208, ATmega4808
- ATmega809, ATmega1609, ATmega3209, ATmega4809
AVR D Series UPDI Support
- AVR128DA28, AVR128DA32, AVR128DA48, AVR128DA64
- AVR128DB28, AVR128DB32, AVR128DB48, AVR128DB64
- AVR32DA28, AVR32DA32, AVR32DA48, AVR64DA28
- AVR32DA28, AVR64DA32, AVR64DA48, AVR64DA64
- The programmer can power the target (up to 150mA) or target can be powered.
- PC Dongle will power programmer
- Target Programming: Programmer switches on when button pressed and off when programming finished
- Powered by 9V PP3 battery or 9V PSU (2.1mm barrel, centre positive - see product accessories)
- Battery life depends on many factors but several hundred operations is normal
Version 3 Improvements
- Replaces HH0820X
- Better Power management stops battery from flattening if left connected
- Longer battery life
- Faster UPDI programming
- Support for AVR DA and AVR DB devices
- Latest PC software (V7) supports all versions of AVR Handheld Programmer
- 8-way AVR XMEGA V3 Handheld Programmer
- 10-way Programming lead
- 10 to 6-way flying lead adapter for ATxmega microcontrollers
This is just the 8-way programmer without USB loader.See related products for Starter Kit - HH0810V3
. This programmer will work with all Kanda USB dongles, so if you already have any handheld starter kit, it will work with this new version.
We now have adapters to convert from the standard Kanda 10-way AVR ISP lead to different 6-way headers and different pitch - 1.27mm or 2.0mm.
Full List of Available Adapters
Here are some popular adapters.
6-Way DIL adapter
6 x 1-way leads - included
6-Way Micromatch connector
See JTAG Adapter
for ready made JTAG adapter
See JTAG Pinouts PDF file
for details of pin wiring.
The programmer comes with a flying lead adapter and 3 wires can be connected for UPDI programming - Blue is UPDI, green is VCC and brown is GND.
For 6-way UPDI (2.54mm/0.1") connection, use 12V UPDI adapter
For 10-way 1.27mm UPDI interface, use AVR ICE Adapter
This has this pinout (same as Atmel ICE AVR connector)
If you need any other type of connector, we can supply all sorts of custom adapters - see Custom Connectors