AVR and XMEGA Handheld Programmer
Standalone Programmer supports all AVR and ATxmega Microcontrollers, including AVR ISP, AVR UPDI, JTAG, TPI and PDI programming.
- AVR ISP Serial Programming
- AVR UPDI Programmer
- ATtiny TPI interface
- AVR and ATxmega JTAG programming, optional adapter needed.
- ATxmega PDI support
- New AVR series supported
It has 512KB memory for ATmega2561 and most ATxmega devices.
This version works with all existing Kanda PC USB dongles.
Important Note - Please Read
Handheld Programmer Benefits
This standalone AVR programmer makes it simple to update firmware in both ATxmega and AVR microcontrollers, including as an AVR UPDI programmer. You plug it into the target and press the button. That's all you need to do.
You load your AVR firmware, fuse settings etc. from the PC using a Kanda USB dongle and simple software. Once it is loaded, you can program as many targets as you want.
- Battery powered with 9V PP3 battery or can be used with 9V power supply
- 512KB of storage space for target code and EEPROM data
- Single button press to program target ATXMEGA or AVR microcontroller
- Load portable programmer code using PC Software and USB dongle
- You can reload new programs as often as required
- Once loaded, it holds program code indefinitely
- Number of programming cycles can be limited
- AVR ISP, JTAG, TPI and AVR UPDI Programmer
- PDI and JTAG ATxmega Programmer
- Supports all Fuses and Lock bits
- Edit fuses on screens or in Hex or binary
- ELF production file can be used to load programmer
- Program and Verify Flash or EEPROM or both
- User Area supported on ATxmega and newer AVR
- Supports serial numbering in EEPROM or User Area
- Can program target from 1.8V - 5.5V, depending on target AVR voltage range. XMEGA 1.8-3.3V
- Can power target AVR microcontroller (up to 150mA) or target can be powered
- All settings (fuses, filenames etc) can be saved to a programmer file for easy distribution of setup
- Program Fuses First feature increases programming speed on new AVRs with 1MHz clock
- Error indication with red/green LED
- Dimensions: Imperial - 4.5 x 2.5 x 1 inches
- Dimensions: Metric- 106mm x 58mm x 25mm
- Optional adapter needed for JTAG programming, see Product Accessories
- Includes flying lead adapter for ATxmega PDI and ATtiny UPDI programming
- ATtiny UPDI 12V adapter available as optional extra
- For 10DIL6 and other adapters, see
The loader for this mobile Atmel AVR programmer works in Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, Win10 and Win11, 32 and 64-bit versions.
Save programmer contents to a PRG file, send it to an Android device and programmer can simply be reloaded with new contents. This gives you much greater flexibility.
More Details, Video and App Download
Atmel ATxmega and AVR Microcontroller Support
Supports all L, P, PA, PB, V, A AVR chips as well
- Older AVR: AT90S1200, AT90S2313, AT90S2323, AT990S2333, AT90S2343
- AT90S4414, AT90S4433, AT90S8515,AT90S8535, ATmega103
- AT90CAN128, AT90CAN32, AT90CAN64
- AT90PWM2/3, AT90PWM316
- AT90USB1286, AT90USB646
- ATmega128, ATmega1280, ATmega1281, ATmega1284, ATmega128RFA1
- ATmega16, ATmega161, ATmega162, ATmega163, ATmega164, ATmega165, ATmega168, ATmega169
- ATmega16M1, ATmega16U2, ATmega16U4
- ATmega2560, ATmega2561
- ATmega32, ATmega323, ATmega324, ATmega325, ATmega3250, ATmega328, ATmega329
- ATmega3290, ATmega32C1, ATmega32M1, ATmega32U2, ATmega32U4, ATmega32U6
- ATmega48, ATmega64, ATmega640, ATmega644, ATmega645, ATmega6450, ATmega649
- ATmega6490, ATmega64C1, ATmega64M1
- ATmega8, ATmega8515, ATmega8535, ATmega88, ATmega8U2
- ATtiny13, ATtiny1634, ATtiny167
- ATtiny2313, ATtiny24, ATtiny25, ATtiny26, ATtiny261
- ATtiny4313, ATtiny43U, ATtiny44, ATtiny45, ATtiny461, ATtiny48
- ATtiny84, ATtiny85, ATtiny861, ATtiny87, ATtiny88
- ATtiny441, ATtiny841
- All P (PicoPower), PA, PB, V, L and A AVR microcontrollers are supported.
- All ATxmega using PDI interface
- ATxmega using JTAG interface - slower and adapter needed
- AVR microcontrollers using UPDI interface
ATtiny TPI Support
ATtiny10, ATtiny102, ATtiny104, ATtiny20, ATtiny4, ATtiny40, ATtiny5, ATtiny9
ATtiny UPDI Support
- ATtiny202, ATtiny402, ATtiny204, ATtiny404, ATtiny804, ATtiny1604
- ATtiny406, ATtiny806, ATtiny1606, ATtiny807, ATtiny1607
- ATtiny212, ATtiny412, ATtiny214, ATtiny414, ATtiny814, ATtiny1614
- ATtiny416, ATtiny816, ATtiny1616, ATtiny3216
- ATtiny417, ATtiny817, ATtiny1617, ATtiny3217
- ATtiny424, ATtiny426, ATtiny427
- ATtiny824, ATtiny826, ATtiny827
- ATtiny1624, ATtiny1626, ATtiny1627
- ATtiny3224, ATtiny3226, ATtiny3227
Optional adapter for ATtiny UPDI 12V programming pulse available - see related products below. 12V adapter is not needed unless you reconfigure Reset pin in fuses
ATmega UPDI Support
- ATmega808, ATmega1608, ATmega3208, ATmega4808
- ATmega809, ATmega1609, ATmega3209, ATmega4809
AVR D and E Series UPDI Support
- AVR128DA28, AVR128DA32, AVR128DA48, AVR128DA64
- AVR32DA28, AVR32DA32, AVR32DA48
- AVR64DA28, AVR64DA32, AVR64DA48, AVR64DA64
- AVR128DB28, AVR128DB32, AVR128DB48, AVR128DB64
- AVR64DB28, AVR64DB32, AVR64DB48, AVR64DB64
- AVR32DB28, AVR32DB32, AVR32DB48
- AVR16DD14, AVR16DD20, AVR16DD28, AVR16DD32
- AVR32DD14, AVR32DD20, AVR32DD28, AVR32DD32
- AVR64DD14, AVR64DD20, AVR64DD28, AVR64DD32
- AVR64EA28, AVR64EA32, AVR64EA48
- AVR and XMEGA Standalone Handheld Programmer
- 10-way Programming lead
- 10 to 6-way flying lead adapter for ATxmega and AVR UPDI microcontrollers
This is just the programmer without USB loader.See related products for Starter Kit - HH0110X
- The programmer can power the target (up to 150mA) or target can be powered.
- PC Dongle will power programmer
- Target Programming: Programmer switches on when button pressed and off when programming finished
- Powered by 9V PP3 battery or 9V PSU (2.1mm barrel, centre positive - see product accessories)
- Battery life depends on many factors but several hundred operations is normal
This programmer will work with all Kanda USB dongles (DONGLE, DONGLE2 and DONGLE3), so if you already have any starter kit, it will work with this new version.
Standalone Programmer Version 3 Improvements
- Replaces HH0110X handheld programmer
- Better Power management stops battery from flattening if left connected
- Longer battery life
- Faster AVR UPDI programming
- Support for AVR DA, AVR DB and AVR DD devices
- Latest PC software supports all versions of AVR Handheld Programmer
- Supports serial numbering in EEPROM or User Area
We now have adapters to convert from the standard Kanda 10-way AVR ISP lead (or PDI) to different 6-way headers and different pitch - 1.27mm or 2.0mm.
Full List of Available Adapters
Here are some popular adapters.
6-Way DIL adapter
6 x 1-way leads
6-Way Micromatch connector
See JTAG Adapter
for ready made JTAG adapter
See JTAG Pinouts PDF file
for details of pin wiring.
AVR UPDI Interface
The programmer comes with a flying lead adapter and 3 wires can be connected for UPDI programming - Blue is UPDI, green is VCC and brown is GND.
For 6-way UPDI (2.54mm/0.1") connection, use 12V UPDI adapter
For 10-way 1.27mm UPDI interface, use AVR ICE Adapter
This has this pinout (same as Atmel ICE AVR connector)
If you need any other type of connector, we can supply all sorts of custom adapters - see Custom Connectors
Connections for ATE
AVR V3 handheld programmer can be used as a programming interface for ATE systems, using Labview, C or other programming language. The programmer has an ATE connection point on PCB that can be connected for remote control.
It has switch input to start programming and Status output showing programming, pass and fail. 8-way programmer slot select is also on connector.
For more details, see ATE Guide
This is a single handheld programmer to store one program.
See 8-Way Version
for programmer to store up to 8 programs.