Standalone Portable PIC Programmer
The Portable PIC Programmer is a new standalone, more adaptable version of Kanda's long established PIC handheld Programmer.
It builds on Kanda's keep it simple
philosophy and so it is much easier to use than other portable programmers.
It has 32 program slots that are loaded from the PC with distinct target information, including different PIC
microcontrollers, code and data, configuration bytes, programming voltage and slot title. Once loaded, it can be used
anywhere, the ideal standalone PIC programmer. Program selection is easy, by number or by scrolling through titles.
Once slot is selected, press Program button to update the target PIC microcontroller.
It includes a charging circuit for the rechargeable 9V PP3 battery fitted, and is supplied with a 15V international wall transformer.
It can power target circuit if required.
Portable PIC Programmer Operation
Who is this programmer for?
- Load from PC via USB using Kanda interface and simple software included with kit
- Take it with you
- On site, select correct target using LCD, keypad or scroll arrows
- Plug into target and press Program button
- Check result on LCD
- That's it, job done - on to next job
- Plug in to recharge battery using mains/wall transformer supplied
The Portable PIC Programmer is ideal for anyone who needs to quickly and easily update PIC microcontroller
firmware in a variety of different equipment. This could be
- Production technicians who need to customise products or deal with different product lines
- Software developers who need to try various firmware versions on site
- Service engineers who have to service a mixture of equipment
- Maintenance engineers who need to update a range of machinery
In fact, it is ideal for any firmware update in situations where a laptop is too cumbersome or
complicated for the job.
- Windows OS: Win 2000, XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10 - 32 and 64-bit
- PC Interface: USB adapter and software included
- Dimensions: 125 x 70 x 25mm (4.8 x 2.6 x 1 inch)
- Weight: 130g (4.5oz)
- Power: Includes charger circuit and 9V rechargeable battery. 15V power unit/wall transformer included
- RoHS compliant
- Capacity: 32 program slots, each of 256KB, to store code, data and configuration, PIC microcontroller,
title and programming options
- Powers target at 3.3V or 5V, depending on device and user selection
- 9V or 12V VPP supplied, uses VPP first programming if supported by target PIC
- Low voltage programming (LVP) is also supported
PIC Microcontroller support
FREE Updates available for new device support.
- PIC18FxxKxx (9V VPP)
- Now Supports PIC18FxxK80, PIC18F6xK22/8xK22, PIC18FxxJ50, PIC18F6xK90/8xK90 and PIC18FxxK83
- Supports PIC18FxxQ10, PIC18FxxQ4x
- Supports LF versions
Plus LF versions
- PIC12F1822, PIC12F1840
- PIC12F609, PIC12F615, PIC12F617
- PIC12F635, PIC12F683
- PIC12F1571, PIC12F1572
PIC12F and PIC16F Not supported
- PIC16F627A, PIC16F628A, PIC16F648A (HVP mode programming only if Reset pin is not reprogrammed as I/O)
- PIC16F631, PIC16F636, PIC16F639
- PIC16F68x, PIC16F690
- LF versions are also supported
Notes: Programmers support 9V VPP for PIC18FxxKxx and PIC16F1xxx. LVP mode is supported on PIC microcontrollers with LVP.
Portable PIC Programmer Kit Contents
- Portable PIC Programmer unit
- 15V Power supply unit/wall transformer
- USB PC interface and lead
- Software CD
- 10-way cable
- 6-way flying lead adapter
Standalone PIC Programmer Software
Install the software from the CD supplied and plug in the USB interface included in the kit and the USB
drivers will be installed automatically.
Connect the portable programmer to the USB interface and run the software to read the programmer contents. The contents of
each slot is displayed in a list with its number, title, target PIC microcontroller and filename. You can edit existing slots
or add new slots up to the maximum of 32, but only 1 slot actually has to be loaded.
As well as setting target PIC microcontroller and files, each slot can have different programming method (LVP or HVP), 3.3V
or 5V VCC and different options.
Click New or Edit Program button to load the programmer.
Programmer contents can be saved and loaded to another portable programmer
Selecting Program Slot
The portable programmer has a keypad and LCD display.
Either enter the program slot number as 3 digits eg 003, and press Select or use up and down arrows to scroll
through slot titles to required slot and press Select. Empty slots show as Not Available, otherwise slot number and title
are shown on LCD.
Programming the PIC target
Plug the programmer into your target PIC microcontroller circuit, using the 6-way flying leads supplied,
or use an adapter for other interfaces such as ICD2 RJ11. Then select target program by number or by scrolling and just press Program button. Programming progress and pass/errors are shown on LCD screen.