Standalone Portable PIC Programmers
The Portable PIC Programmer is a standalone, more adaptable version of Kanda's long established PIC handheld Programmers.
It builds on Kanda's keep it simple
philosophy and so it is much easier to use than other portable programmers.
It has 31 program slots or images that are loaded from the PC with distinct target information, including different PIC
microcontrollers, code and data, configuration bytes, programming voltage and slot title. Once loaded, it can be used
anywhere, the ideal standalone PIC programmer. Program selection is easy, by number or by scrolling through titles.
Once slot is selected, press Program button to update the target PIC microcontroller.
Powering the Programmer
- It is fitted with a 9V PP3 battery, with a spare supplied, which allow 100's of programming operations.
- It can be used with 9V power supply, see accessories for suitable international wall transformer.
- You can fit a rechargeable PP3 battery, see accessories for charger
- It can power target circuit if required.
- Older versions of this programmer included a built-in charger - this has been discontinued with new version 3
Portable PIC Programmer Operation
Who is this programmer for?
- Load from PC via USB using Kanda interface and simple software included with kit
- Take it with you
- On site, select correct target using LCD, keypad or scroll arrows
- Plug into target and press Program button
- Check result on LCD
- That's it, job done - on to next job
- Use mains/wall transformer supplied or 9V PP3 battery
- Fitted with rechargeable 9V PP3 (6F22) battery, see accessories for charger or use your own
- Can operate with standard non-rechareable 9V battery
The Portable PIC Programmer is ideal for anyone who needs to quickly and easily update PIC microcontroller
firmware in a variety of different equipment. This could be
- Production technicians who need to customise products or deal with different product lines
- Software developers who need to try various firmware versions on site
- Service engineers who have to service a mixture of equipment
- Maintenance engineers who need to update a range of machinery
In fact, it is ideal for any firmware update in situations where a laptop is too cumbersome or
complicated for the job.
- Windows OS: Win 2000, XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10, Win11 - 32 and 64-bit
- PC Interface: USB adapter and software included
- Dimensions: 125 x 70 x 25mm (4.8 x 2.6 x 1 inch)
- Weight: 130g (4.5oz)
- Power:Uses 9V PP3 battery or 9V PSU (optional extra) with 2.1mm barrel, centre +ve
- RoHS compliant
- Capacity: 31 program slots, each of 256KB, to store code, data and configuration, PIC microcontroller,
title and programming options
- Powers target at 3.3V or 5V, depending on device and user selection
- 9V or 12V VPP supplied, uses VPP first programming if supported by target PIC
- Low voltage programming (LVP) is also supported
- New version with 6 SIL adapter not 6-way Flying Lead
PIC Microcontroller support
FREE Updates available for new device support.
- PIC18FxxKxx (9V VPP)
- Now Supports PIC18FxxK80, PIC18F6xK22/8xK22, PIC18FxxJ50, PIC18F6xK90/8xK90 and PIC18FxxK83
- Supports PIC18FxxQ10, PIC18FxxQ4x
- Supports LF versions
Plus LF versions
- PIC12F1822, PIC12F1840
- PIC12F609, PIC12F615, PIC12F617
- PIC12F635, PIC12F683
- PIC12F1571, PIC12F1572
PIC12F and PIC16F Not supported
- PIC16F627A, PIC16F628A, PIC16F648A (HVP mode programming only if Reset pin is not reprogrammed as I/O)
- PIC16F631, PIC16F636, PIC16F639
- PIC16F68x, PIC16F690
- LF versions are also supported
Notes: Programmers support 9V VPP for PIC18FxxKxx and PIC16F1xxx. LVP mode is supported on PIC microcontrollers with LVP.
Portable PIC Programmer Kit Contents
- V3 Portable PIC Programmer unit
- USB PC interface and lead
- 10-way cable
- 6-way SIL Adapter (MCLR, VCC, GND, PGD, PGC, PGM)
- Spare 9V PP3 battery
Standalone PIC Programmer Software
Install the software from the CD supplied and plug in the USB interface included in the kit and the USB
drivers will be installed automatically.
Connect the portable programmer to the USB interface and run the software to read the programmer contents. The contents of
each slot is displayed in a list with its number, title, target PIC microcontroller and filename. You can edit existing slots
or add new slots up to the maximum of 32, but only 1 slot actually has to be loaded.
As well as setting target PIC microcontroller and files, each slot can have different programming method (LVP or HVP), 3.3V
or 5V VCC and different options.
Click New or Edit Program button to load the programmer.
Programmer contents can be saved and loaded to another portable programmer
Selecting Program Slot
The portable programmer has a keypad and LCD display.
Either enter the program slot number as 3 digits eg 003, and press Select or use up and down arrows to scroll
through slot titles to required slot and press Select. Empty slots show as Not Available, otherwise slot number and title
are shown on LCD.
Programming the PIC target
Plug the programmer into your target PIC microcontroller circuit, using the 6-way flying leads supplied,
or use an adapter for other interfaces such as ICD2 RJ11. Then select target program by number or by scrolling and just press Program button. Programming progress and pass/errors are shown on LCD screen.