PRESTO USB PIC programmer
Very fast PIC microcontroller ICSP programmer self powered from USB bus with enhanced ICSP programming capability. This USB PIC programmer supports a wide range of Microchip PIC microcontrollers at 3-5V target voltage or powered by the PRESTO PIC programmer at 5V operation. Includes support for dsPIC, PIC24, Serial EEPROMs, AVR and other microcontrollers
Also supports CPLD and other devices that use JTAG using separate JTAG player software.
- Most PIC microcontrollers supported
- Very fast programmer operation
- PIC ICSP programmer controlled and powered by USB
- PIC Microcontroller target application voltage 3 to 5 V
- Overcurrent and overvoltage protection for PICMicro
- GO button
- Includes an 8 way flying lead adapter, 0.1" (2.54mm) pin header connecters
PRESTO Programmer Detail
- PRESTO is optimized for programming speed and it is a really very fast PIC ICSP programmer. For example, the full PIC18F8720 microcontroller is programmed and verified in 6 seconds! (3 seconds for programming and 3 seconds for verification). Complete eCOG1 in less than 3 seconds.
- In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) is a very useful and often used PIC microcontroller feature. PRESTO PIC programmer directly supports this function using a dedicated connector and an included cable. In comparison to other ASIX programmers, the ICSP connector is enhanced - there are two more pins allowing support of wider range of PIC microcontrollers.
- The target PIC microcontroller can be either powered by PRESTO PIC Programmer (5 V nominally) or can be powered by an application, within a voltage range 3 to 5 V (with 10% tolerance).
- GO button allows user to start microcontroller programming easily, without the need for a PC keyboard or mouse. LEDs indicate programmer status - green LED ON-LINE indicates the USB connection and yellow LED ACTIVE indicates that PRESTO is just working (programming, reading, ...)
- Overcurrent limitation of target supply and programming voltages remarkably reduce the risk of damaging the PIC microcontrollers because of user mistakes. Target supply overvoltage detection is also implemented.
- PRESTO PIC programmer is powered from the USB bus, so there is no need for any additional supply adaptor.
- PRESTO PIC ICSP programmer is small, lightweight and compact.
- Software upgrades are freely available for all users on the Internet. They contain new device support, new functions and algorithm updates when required.
The software is very comprehensive but simple to use.
Download Software v3.38
- Separate Code and Data windows
- Configuration and Security screen with clear descriptions and easy settings
- Comprehensive PIC device support
- Varied programming, read and verify options - Program All, Program Code, Data or Configuration Only etc.
- Extra Features such as Serial Numbers, Program counts, user settable Hot Keys
PRESTO Device Support
- Microchip PIC Microcontrollers
Serially programmable PICMicro (all Flash and the most popular OTP/JW), including J and K devices
- dsPIC30, dsPIC33, PIC24, MSP43x and PIC32MX (
Does not support dsPIC33/PIC24 Dual Partition Mode)
- Atmel AVR MCUs
Devices with SPI low voltage serial downloading - for example ATtiny12, AT90S8535, ATmega128
- Atmel 8051 Family
AT89S2051, AT89S4051, AT89S51/52/53, AT89S8252, AT89S8253, AT89LP6440
- Cyan Technology eCOG1
- 32-bit ARM-based MCUs by various vendors
- Texas Instruments MSP430� and CC430� MCUs
(Security Fuse blowing and Bootstrap loader memory programming is not supported).
- Chipcon (now Texas Instruments) CCxxxx� MCUs
- Cypress PSoC� MCUs CY8U21xx, CY8U24xx and CY8U27xx.
Including basic debug control via eICE interface (Run, Stop, Reset).
- Components with JTAG interface
- types which can be programmed using SVF or XSVF file - for example
- CPLD - Xilinx (XC95xx, CoolRunner, ...), Altera and others
- FPGA configuration Flash PROMs - Xilinx (XC18Vxx, XCFxxS)
- Atmel ATxmega
- Serial EEPROMs
- I2C (24LCxx)
- Microwire (93LCxx)
- SPI (25Cxx)
- SPI DataFlash (AT45DB)
- TI Microcontrollers, CC25xxx, CC111xxx
Link to Full Device Support List
More Information About PRESTO
A board with a ZIF socket for use with this USB PIC ICSP Programmer is available.
Click for details about ISP to ZIF board
JTAG Player allows Presto to program devices with a JTAG interface using SVF files. Typical devices include:
Download and Save JTAG Player for CPLD
- CPLD - Xilinx (XC95xx, CoolRunner, ...), Altera, Lattice and others
- FPGA Configuration Memories - Xilinx (XC18Vxx, XCFxxS) and similar types by other vendors
- FPGAs - this is suitable especially during development because the FPGA internal SRAM programming takes much less time than programming of the configuration Flash memory
- Atmel MCUs with the JTAG interface (e.g. ATmega)
...and other ICs with the JTAG interface which you use or you plan to use
A DLL is available for PRESTO to allow you to write your own interface. Please visit this link for more information in new tab.
PRESTO DLL information and download
Using PRESTO with Linux
PRESTO and FORTE can be used under Linux. For an overview and to download the software, see this link.
Asix Linux Page
Asix Multi-UP Program
UP software, which supports both PRESTO and FORTE, is now shipped with Multi-UP program. This is a great piece of software for running up to 4 programmers from one PC, ideal for production.
Multi-UP makes it easy to configure each programmer to program a different target.
Create a project (PPR) in standard UP software for each target combination - device, filenames, fuses etc and save it. Just load this PPR into Multi-UP along with the programmer serial number and in no time you have up to 4 programmers ready to go.
MultiUP can also be used with just one programmer to give an easy programming tool for your production workers.
PRESTO versus FORTE Programmers
PRESTO is a good simple programmer but FORTE is faster, with better low voltage support and a much larger device support range, including ARM chips, STM8, HCS300, Dallas 1-wire devices and many more.
FORTE Advanced ISP Programmer"