Low cost USB AVR ISP
Fed up with running AVRStudio just to program an AVR? This programmer has its own programming software for fast simple operation, plus
it now includes these powerful features
- Can power target circuit (5V only)
- Super drive capability to deal with capacitors, UART chips etc.
- USB PC operation or run from AVRStudio 4, or AtmelStudio 5, 6 or 7
- Supports Atmel ELF production files
- Easy USB install on all Windows OS, including 64-bit and Windows 8 and 10
- New ISP3 version to support latest FTDI USB drivers
- Automatic ISP speed setting selects fastest possible programming speed
- Supports target voltages of 1.8 - 5.5V
- 6 and 10-way AVR ISP target cables included
- Erase, Program, Verify and Read for Flash, EEPROM, Fuses and Lockbits
- Easy to use Fuse setup screens
- Edit fuses in Hex or fuse screens
- Includes serial numbering, checksums and RC calibration byte(s)
- AutoProgram feature with user set options, including
- Reload Files
- Program Fuses First - to change clock or set EESAVE before erase
- Read Calibration Bytes - save to EEPROM or flash for programming
- Increment Serial Number
- Read EEPROM before erase
- Erase, Program and Verify Flash, EEPROM, Fuses and Lockbits
- Run - release Reset
- Fast programming speed, see Speed section for examples
- Atmel 6-way and 10-way AVR ISP interfaces included
AVR Microcontroller Support
- Older AVR: AT90S8515,AT90S8535, ATmega103
- AT90CAN128, AT90CAN32, AT90CAN64
- AT90PWM2/3, AT90PWM316
- AT90USB1286, AT90USB162, AT90USB646, AT90USB82
- ATmega128, ATmega1280, ATmega1281, ATmega1284, ATmega128RFA1
- ATmega16, ATmega161, ATmega162, ATmega163, ATmega164, ATmega165, ATmega168, ATmega169
- ATmega16M1, ATmega16U2, ATmega16U4
- ATmega2560, ATmega2561
- ATmega32, ATmega323, ATmega324, ATmega325, ATmega3250, ATmega328, ATmega329
- ATmega3290, ATmega32C1, ATmega32M1, ATmega32U2, ATmega32U4, ATmega32U6,
- ATmega48, ATmega64, ATmega640, ATmega644, ATmega645, ATmega6450, ATmega649
- ATmega6490, ATmega64C1, ATmega64M1
- ATmega8, ATmega8515, ATmega8535, ATmega88, ATmega8U2
- ATtiny12, ATtiny13, ATtiny15, ATtiny1634, ATtiny167
- ATtiny22, ATtiny2313, ATtiny24, ATtiny25, ATtiny26, ATtiny261
- ATtiny4313, ATtiny43U, ATtiny44, ATtiny45, ATtiny461, ATtiny48
- ATtiny84, ATtiny85, ATtiny861, ATtiny87, ATtiny88
- ATtiny441, ATtiny841
- All P (PicoPower),PA, PB, V, L and A AVR microcontrollers are supported.
Free updates for new AVR microcontroller support
Windows OS Support
Supports Windows 2000, XP, VISTA, Windows7, Windows8/8.1, Windows 10, Win11 - 32 and 64-bit
See Accessories below for other adapters, eg 1.27mm (0.05")
- AVRISP-U AVR Programmer - ISP3
- USB cable
- 10-way ISP cable
- 6-way ISP cable
- Free Software downloads, including all updates
The software can be called from AVRStudio, AtmelStudio or Microchip Studio to simplify development, but it has a standalone PC programmer interface, with lots of features for fast programming, including
- Buffer Editors for Flash and EEPROM
- Automatic ISP speed setting to suit target
- AutoProgram, flexible serial numbers, Calibration Byte read
- Simple fuse screen
- Load Atmel production ELF files, with all data including fuses and lock bits
How to create ELF files
- Edit fuses in Hex or on fuse screens.
Programmer Drive Details and Sample Programming Speeds
This new version has been designed not only to power target circuit but to improve its drive.
This means that it can cope with bigger capacitors and smaller resistors on AVR Reset and
programming lines. Although we suggest you follow the recommendations in our
AVR ISP Circuit Guide
, you may have
targets already that don't conform and this programmer should deal with MAX232 chips and other loads.
Sample speeds for ATmega128
- Program full Flash - 10 seconds
- Verify Flash - 5 seconds
- Program full EEPROM - 40 seconds
- Verify EEPROM - 1 second
- All operations (Erase, Flash, EEPROM, Fuses and Lockbits program and verify - 57 seconds
At 5V, 8MHz target clock, USB latency (Setup screen) set to 2 - some PCs may need higher latency.
Not sure which Programmer is best?
Comparison of different AVR Programmers
Our new AVR trainer
includes this programmer, development board,
JTAGAVR ICE, books on AVR and Embedded C, development environment and much more.
AVR ISP Circuit Schematic Guide
in new window.
Adding to Atmel Studio
AVRISP-U can be called directly from Atmel Studio
Adding to Atmel Studio
Older versions of AVRISP-U have a label that says ISP or ISP2 (ISP 2).
These will still work with latest software.
ISP version will not power the target, ISP 2 uses older FTDI USB driver (2.12.28) but this can be updated by latest software.
Current version is ISP 3 (ISP3) and supports latest FTDI driver (2.12.36).
If your unit says Dongle, Dongle2 or Dongle3 on label then it is not AVRISP-U, it is a Handheld or Keyfob loading dongle.