AVR Microcontroller for Beginners
Please see improved replacement product STK200-X
The STK200 AVR Kit designed by Kanda for Atmel AVR and ATmega microcontrollers is the most successful microcontroller
kit EVER produced. Over 30,000 STK200 Kits have been sold world-wide for embedded system development and
learning microcontrollers using the Atmel AVR. Now Kanda have updated and improved this classic STK200 AVR Development Kit.
The Arduino Alternative
Arduino is a simplied development system. It is a great way to get your specific project up and running quickly, especially if someone has already done
something similar but you don't learn much about microcontrollers. As an alternative to Arduino, the STK200 takes more work
but you learn about micontrollers, development environments, assembly language and C programming, AVRISP programmers and all the basics. Kanda have designed it to be suitable for beginners like Arduino but you will have a much better understanding once you have
complted this microcontroller course.
STK200 Main Features
The STK200 is designed for everyone from complete beginners to experienced engineers, and includes all the software, hardware and information
required for AVR development, with a microcontroller course for beginners - the ideal way to learn microcontrollers.
- No external power supply needed
- AVRStudio Development environment
- WinAVR C compiler, integrated into AVRStudio
- Get Going with... AVR Microcontrollers book on CD
- Embedded C book on CD
- Sample code, full instructions and schematics
- USB ISP programmer, with its own software or it can be integrated into Studio 4, 5 and 6
- Comprehensive STK200 Board
- Board can be powered by programmer or separate power supply
The STK200 is a low cost solution, and does not include an emulator. AVRStudio has a simulator for basic emulation and the ISP
programmer is used to run code on the board.
The STK200 AVR Dragon
includes an emulator.
Overview of different starter kits and boards
STK200 Board Main Features
- Socket support for 8, 20, 28 and 40-pin microcontrollers
- All ports available on header pins
- Switches and LEDs can be moved to different ports
- Improved ADC support
- Sockets for Flash RAM (AT29256) and Address latch
- 2-wire EEPROM socket (24Cxxx)
- Multiple Port B headers to correctly route signals from smaller microcontrollers
- Clock/Port Pin jumpers on smaller sockets to free I/O pin when running
- Compatible with existing STK200 code and applications
- LCD interface
- UART (RS232) circuitry and connector
- 3 or 5V operation
- Brownout circuit
- ATmega8515 microcontroller fitted
STK200 Kit Contents
The STK200 does not include a power supply but can be powered by the AVRISP programmer
- STK200 board with Atmega8515 microcontroller
- Application Builder ATmega8515 and ATmega8535
- USB In-System Programmer, plugs in to Studio or uses standalone software and can power STK200 board
- AVR Studio (copyright (c) Atmel Corp.)
- WinAVR C Compiler integrated into Studio
- Assembler and C examples - UART, Keypad, LCD, switches, LEDs and many more
- Complete User manual, guides, schematics, code examples and datasheets on CD
- Embedded C book on CD
- Get Going with...AVR book on CD
The programmer can power the board including keypad and LCD but if you want to connect lots of extra peripherals, then a power supply might be needed. Any power supply with 2.1mm barrel connector, 9-15 VDC or 6-12 VAC, will work with the board.
See related products below
for a universal 9V wall transformer.
- ISP programmer supports all serial programmable Attiny and Atmega devices
- Equivalent low voltage (L) microcontrollers and all V, A, PA and other variants are supported
- Board has socket support for all 8, 20, 28 and 40-pin microcontrollers
See - STK300 Kit
for socket support for 64-pin microcontrollers, like ATmega128, ATmrga2561.
- Win 2000/XP/VISTA/7/8/10 (32 and 64-bit)
Software Details - STK200 Kit
Application Builder- STK200 Development Kit
The STK200 Application Builder uses wizards to generate set-up code for timers, UART, USART, ADC, SPI, ports, watchdog and interrupts.
The stack pointer, external SRAM access and other microcontroller features can also be set. Allows you to quickly create source code templates,
code examples and test routines, getting you started quickly. Includes Bootloader setup code.
We have included the latest version of Atmel's Studio 4 development environment, with permission of Atmel Corp. It has all you need
including full editor, assembler and simulator for all devices. This is the best development system from any semiconductor manufacturer
by a long way. The ISP programmer is integrated into Studio or can be run separately using its own software.
The programmer will also work with AtmelStudio 5, 6 and 7 and the example projects can be imported into AtmelStudio7, available as a download from Atmel site.
More about Studio
in new window.
Unlimited WinAVR C Compiler
WinAVR GNU C-compiler AVRGCC integrates into Studio development environment, enabling projects to be developed in C or Assembler.
The ISP uses USB port and includes silent install. It is integrated into Studio 4, and can be very easily added to Studio 5, 6 or 67,
full instructions included. The software has
- Flash and EEPROM memory editable buffers
- Comprehensive and easy to use fuse and lock bit screens
- Automatic ISP speed setting
- Device identification
- Serial numbering, RC calibration byte reading
- Program, verify, read and erase functions
Manuals, schematics, sample code etc.
As well as a getting started guide there are board schematics, device datasheets and manuals. There is also 2 books on
and on Embedded C programming
on the CD. There is also a range of sample code files,
covering basic I/O, UART, LCD, External memory and other topics.
Starter Kit Accessories
We have a range of accessories that plug straight into the port headers on the STK200 board. Code examples are on the CD
for all accessories. Extra jumper leads are available to easily connect your own boards. An external power supply
is not needed unless you add lots of extra circuits as programmer can power the board up to 100 mA.