Keyfob PIC Programmer
The Keyfob PIC Programmer is a very small standalone programmer for PIC 18F and PIC16F microcontrollers. Once it is loaded from the PC using the Starter Kit it is completely portable. It is very small, uses 1 button operation and supports Low and High Voltage PIC programming modes.
Keyfob PIC Programmer
- Dimensions:Metric- 45mm x 35mm x 15mm - 28g
- Dimensions:Imperial - 1.8 x 1.4 x 0.5 inches - 1 oz
- Easy to load, easy to use
- Reprogram as many times as you need
- Holds PIC program code indefinitely
- Supports all PIC Configuration and security settings
- Loads PIC Configuration word, data, user ID data from Hex File
- Supports High and Low Voltage PIC programming
- Win 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP/Vista/7
PIC microcontroller Support
The PIC Keyfob Programmer does not power target, so it is not suitable for all applications - please see Limitations section below.
All released PIC18F
devices except J and K series.
The PIC Keyfob Programmer does not support PIC18FxxJxx or PIC18FxxKxx microcontrollers.
For support for J and K series please see Handheld PIC Programmer
at 5V only
See Handheld PIC Programmer for low voltage support
PIC16F Support -
HVP + LVP
- PIC16F627A, PIC16F628A, PIC16F648A (HVP mode programming only if Reset pin is not reprogrammed as I/O)
- PIC16F7x7 except PIC16F72x series
- PIC16F91x, PIC16F946
Keyfob PIC Programmer Features
- Reprogrammable up to a 1000 times
- Stores code indefinitely
- Battery powered for maximum flexibility
- Single button operation
- Ideal for Field or Production use
- High Voltage and Low Voltage Programming Modes
- Includes inline 12V VPP generator
- 10-way DIL interface and 6 x 1-way flying lead adapter
- Maximum code size: 64KB
Once you have one Starter Kit, you can load as many Keyfob PIC Programmers as you like.
Keyfob PIC Programmer Starter Kit
As the Keyfob PIC Programmer
draws power from the target circuit, it operates at the target voltage, down to 3V. However, the BULK ERASE command on the PIC microcontrollers will not work below 4.5V. So, if your target voltage is below 4.5V locked devices cannot be re-programmed. PIC16F microcontrollers need at least 4.5V in all cases. We recommend the Handheld PIC Programmer for low voltage applications as it can power the target PIC microcontroller.
The maximum code size is 64KB. For larger devices, please use handheld PIC Programmer, which has a maximum code size of 256KB.
In HVP mode, because this programmer cannot power target, it cannot do VPP voltage first programming method. This means that, if the configuration bits are set for internal master clear and internal oscillator, the PIC microcontroller will start to execute code before entering the program mode because the MCLR pin will not hold it in reset. Also, if RB6 and/or RB7 are configured as outputs by the program there may be contention between these pins and the PIC programmer preventing the device from entering the program mode properly.
The keyfob is limited to 12V VPP. This means that it cannot program new PIC microcontroller families with 9V VPP, such as PIC18FxxKxx and PIC16F72x.
The Keyfob PIC Programmer is NOT designed to cope with faulty target boards, so you should test or isolate target boards first, or use the Handheld PIC Programmer instead.
A Quick start guide
with recommended circuits, setup details and pinouts can be downloaded here or you can see the recommended PIC Programmer ICSP Circuit
Guide in a new window.
Hand Held PIC Programmer
A more robust Handheld PIC programmer is available, which is ideal for use on the production line or for low voltage targets. It operates in the same way as the Keyfob PIC Programmer but has extra features for production use.
Handheld PIC Programmer
PIC Programmer Overview
For an overview of our PIC Programmer range, please see PIC Programmer Overview
in new window