PRESTO USB Programmer
Very fast microcontroller ISP programmer self powered from USB bus with enhanced ISP programming capability. Supports a wide range of microcontrollers including all 89S series microcontrollers at 3-5V target voltage or powered by the PRESTO programmer at 5V operation.
Includes support for dsPIC, PIC24, Serial EEPROMs, AVR and other microcontrollers as well as 89S microcontrollers using fast ISP.
Also supports CPLD and other devices that use JTAG
89S Programmer Features
- Wide range of microcontrollers supported
- Very fast programmer operation
- Programmer controlled and powered by USB
- Microcontroller target application voltage 3 to 5 V
- Overcurrent and overvoltage protection for target microcontroller
- GO button
- Includes an 8 way flying lead adapter
PRESTO USB Programmer Detail
- PRESTO is optimized for programming speed and it is a really very fast PIC programmer. For example, the full PIC18F8720 microcontroller is programmed and verified in 6 seconds! (3 seconds for programming and 3 seconds for verification). Complete eCOG1 in less than 3 seconds.
- In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) is a very useful and often used PIC microcontroller feature. PRESTO programmer directly supports this function using a dedicated connector and an included cable. In comparison to other ASIX' programmers, the ICSP connector is enhanced - there are two more pins allowing support of wider range of PIC microcontrollers.
- The target microcontroller can be either powered by PRESTO Programmer (5 V nominally) or can be powered by an application, within a voltage range 3 to 5 V (with 10% tolerance).
- GO button allows user to start microcontroller programming easily, without the need for a PC keyboard or mouse. LEDs indicate programmer status - green LED ON-LINE indicates the USB connection and yellow LED ACTIVE indicates that PRESTO is just working (programming, reading, ...)
- Overcurrent limitation of target supply and programming voltages remarkably reduce the risk of damaging the PIC microcontrollers because of user mistakes. Target supply overvoltage detection is also implemented.
- PRESTO programmer is powered from the USB bus, so there is no need for any additional supply adaptor.
- PRESTO programmer is small, lightweight and compact.
- Software upgrades are freely available for all users on the Internet. They contain new device support, new functions and algorithm updates when required.
The software is very comprehensive but simple to use.
- Separate Code and Data windows
- Configuration and Security screen with clear descriptions and easy settings
- Comprehensive microcontroller support
- Varied programming, read and verify options - Program All, Program Code, Data or Configuration Only etc.
- Extra Features such as Serial Numbers, Program counts, user settable Hot Keys
- Atmel 8051 Family
AT89S2051, AT89S4051, AT89S51, AT89S52, AT89S53, AT89S8252, AT89S8253, AT89LP6440
- Atmel AVR MCUs
Devices with SPI low voltage serial downloading - for example ATtiny12, AT90S8535, ATmega128
- Microchip PIC Microcontrollers
Serially programmable PICMicro (all Flash and the most popular OTP/JW), including J and K devices
- dsPIC30, dsPIC33, PIC24, MSP43x and PIC32MX
- Cyan Technology eCOG1
Including basic debug control via eICE interface (Run, Stop, Reset).
- Cypress PSoC
- Components with JTAG interface
- types which can be programmed using SVF or XSVF file - for example
- CPLD - Xilinx (XC95xx, CoolRunner, ...), Altera and others
- FPGA configuration Flash PROMs - Xilinx (XC18Vxx, XCFxxS)
- Atmel ATxmega
- Serial EEPROMs
- I2C (24LCxx)
- Microwire (93LCxx)
- SPI (25Cxx)
- SPI DataFlash (AT45DB)
- TI Microcontrollers, CC25xxx, CC111xxx
Link to Full Device Support List
A board with a ZIF socket for use with this USB Programmer is available.
Click for details about ISP to ZIF board
JTAG Player allows Presto to program devices with a JTAG interface using SVF files. Typical devices include:
Download and Save JTAG Player for CPLD
- CPLD - Xilinx (XC95xx, CoolRunner, ...), Altera, Lattice and others
- FPGA Configuration Memories - Xilinx (XC18Vxx, XCFxxS) and similar types by other vendors
- FPGAs - this is suitable especially during development because the FPGA internal SRAM programming takes much less time than programming of the configuration Flash memory
- Atmel MCUs with the JTAG interface (e.g. ATmega)
...and other ICs with the JTAG interface which you use or you plan to use
A DLL is available for PRESTO to allow you to write your own interface. Please visit this link for more information in new tab.
PRESTO DLL information and download
Using PRESTO with Linux
PRESTO and FORTE can be used under Linux. For an overview and to download the software, see this link.
Asix Linux Page
PRESTO MultiUP Software
Up to 4 PRESTO or FORTE programmers can be run easily from a single PC. Each programmer is configured (device, files, fuses etc.) in UP software and saved as a project file. MultiUP uses this project files to setup multi-programming of up to 4 programmers.
MultiUP Brief Description